I made this cake for dessert as part of a surprise Christmas luncheon my coworkers and I gave our higher-ups. I’d realllly been craving spiced-baked-sweet-buttery something-cake and wanted to impress.
It’s a Paula Deen recipe (which covered the “buttery” requirement) and this is the cake in the profile photo of this blog. I figured posting the recipe was timely.
WARNING: do not eat unless you want type-2 diabetes!!
HOLIDAY SPICE CAKE
(adapted from Paula Deen)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg *trust me- FRESH will make a huge impact!
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- Butter Cream Icing (recipe below)
- Finely chopped nuts, for garnish *I used toasted pecans- they were lovely
Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour THREE 8-inch, round cake pans.