Dave loves granola, and I’ve been pretty unhappy with what we’ve been buying. So much of what’s available in grocery stores is laden with fat and way too much sugar (which is why it’s so good, but still). I’d been wanting to try to make my own so I wouldn’t feel like I was sugar poisoning my husband, so this apple cinnamon version was my first attempt, mostly because I had all of the ingredients at home. It was soooo easy- just mix and bake.
The recipe I loosely followed still used more sugar than I did, so my measurements are below. The proportions of oil and liquid/sweeteners to nuts and grains seems like a good jumping off point for other versions. Ta-da!
APPLE CINNAMON GRANOLA
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 3.9 oz cup Motts Natural applesauce
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used Penzey’s Vietnamese Extra Fancy– ooh, la la)
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 c honey
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/2 c almonds, unsalted
- 1/2 c cashews, lightly salted
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- parchment paper to line baking sheet Read More