It’s Saturday morning again, my favorite time of the week!! In our house, Saturday morning means a big workout and a big meal, preferably with eggs and something sweet.
Dave is training for his first marathon and I swam laps in a ridiculously crowded pool this morning, so we needed some healthy but rewarding carbs after our workouts. This is a favorite recipe of mine: it’s fast, healthy, can be made ahead, and the fruit and nuts can be swapped out for lots of other combinations.
BANANA-NUT PANCAKES WITH BLACKBERRY SYRUP
- 1 c oats
- 1 c whole wheat flour (or 2/3 c whole wheat flour and 1/3 c vanilla protein powder)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or honey
- 1 1/4 c soy milk, almond milk, or skim milk
- 1/4-1/2 c chopped nuts (I used walnuts and almonds)
- 1 banana, diced
- Canola oil
- 1/3-1/2 c frozen blackberries
- 1/3-1/2 c sugar-free syrup of your choice
In a medium bowl, mix the first eight ingredients until well combined. Note on the oats: for a smoother pancake, you can grind the oats into a flour in a food processor. I usually do this, but skipped it today so I could eat 45 seconds sooner. Once the batter is formed (it will be chunky), fold in the bananas.