Well, hello! It’s time for a curry. This dish is a great way to either add veggies to your diet, celebrate a meatless Monday, or use up the sad veggies withering away accusingly in your fridge. Grab the veggies! It’s not too late!
PRODUCE BASKET WEEKNIGHT CURRY
- brown rice, cooked according to package directions (or a microwaveable package of brown rice)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 6-8 cups of any combination of vegetables you may have, or:
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1/2 eggplant, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp red or green curry paste, your choice (or 1+ tbsp curry powder and 1 tsp kosher salt)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- extra credit: 1 kaffir lime leaf and 1 tsp grated lemongrass
- cilantro, for serving
- bean sprouts, for serving
- sriracha or other chili paste for serving
Heat the coconut oil in a large, deep skillet or wok over medium high heat. When the oil has melted and is hot- you can test this by tossing in an onion- add the onion and saute for about 2 minutes, until they start to become translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, and lemongrass, if using, and saute for another minute. Add the rest of your spectacular veggie combo (excluding cilantro and bean sprouts) and saute, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes more. Leave the stove on and skillet hot.
Remove the veggies to a large bowl and add the coconut milk to the skillet and bring to a simmer. When the coconut milk is simmering, add the curry paste or powder, the brown sugar, and the fish sauce or salt. Stir to dissolve and combine, then add the veggies back and the kaffir lime leaf to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 3-5 more minutes.
That’s it! Taste a bit of the sauce and adjust seasonings as necessary. You may like it a bit more salty. Serve over brown rice and pass sriracha. How good of you to eat so many veggies at once. Yum.
One thought on “Produce Basket Weeknight Curry (v, gf)”